Monday, April 7, 2014

Creation and "Cosmos"


My Sunday afternoon multitasking involved listening to an episode of Neil deGrasse Tyson’s series, “Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey” while I copied bowings into my orchestra music.

I expected to disagree with Tyson on his view of young-earth creationists. There is scientific evidence on both sides of the argument. Things aren’t as simple and obvious as many people claim.

But I was amazed how much I agreed with  a scene late in the episode. I would have shouted, “Amen!" if that were appropriate while watching "Cosmos." The scene is an animation of the astronomer William Herschel walking on the beach with his son, John, and discussing William’s friend, John Michell.


“He held that some stars are invisible,” said William. “They really exist, but we shall never see them. Dark stars, Michell called them.”


“With all due repsect, father, surely your friend was mistaken. If no one can see them, then how can we possible know they exist?”

“Did you see the man who left those footprints, John?”

“Why, no, father, I did not.”

“But do you know that he exists?”


Dark stars, now called black holes, leave footprints in the cosmos. Their gravitational pull is so great that light cannot escape. They are invisible. We detect them by watching the evidence of their gravitational pull on other things in the universe.


Sometimes the most powerful things in the universe are invisible. God is my Black Hole. I cannot see Him, but I have seen His footprints in the cosmos, in history and in my life. His pull is so great that once I got close to Him, my life was absorbed by Him. And I shall never regret it.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, thank you for your posts. I read several and skimmed thru a few more. I hope to read them all a little at a time. They are encouraging and point to our Father. I appreciate your heart. For God. I read the one about Dale, and I agree that Father loves us for who we are. :) I know He also loves when we do acts of service for others, especially those who have been forgotten or ignored by the rest of the world. That is so clear when Jesus spoke of the judgment, and tells us to enter His peace because, :when I was hungry you fed me..." :) I find that I know He has accepted me and has redeemed me because of His grace, His cleansing that I surrendered to when He called me. In response to His gift of love, I also find that the closer I draw to Him, the more I feel the ache and burden of my Father's heart for the hurting, and the more I know how pleased it makes my Dad when I serve them and bring them truth and His love. Those works and actions glorify Him, and give evidence that my life is His. But the most amazing truth found in acts of giving to those who are broken is this: when He brings them to me broken and bleeding and blind and naked, and I really have His love for them and give from the truth and love He placed in my heart, then I will see His work and power revealed as I watch them healing, see them clothed, their eyes opened and their hearts and spiritual bondage overcome, being set free by the power of the Word. This is where the joy of the Lord abides for me, where I know His joy abides, and where no man should separate the work of ones' life from the presence of God's Spirit living within Him. That God is my Father makes it possible for me to do His work, the work that reveals that He is living within me. My works can never save me. Only my Father can save me - and once He does, my life will never be the same..

    ReplyDelete