Thursday, March 19, 2020

When God Doesn't Speak

Image by skeeze from Pixabay
As we muddle our way through the coronavirus pandemic, I wish God would speak out loud. Should I cancel everything and stay home? Love says I shouldn't expose myself to germs and share them with the vulnerable people in my life. But are some activities safe? How can I know? God, just speak!

When King Ahab wanted to kill Elijah, God spoke clearly, "Hide yourself" (1 Kings 17:3). Elijah hid by the brook, not from fear but from a heart of obedience. When God said, "Show yourself to Ahab," Elijah immediately obeyed (1 Kings 18:1-2).

But God wasn't always that clear. The next time Elijah's life was in danger, he was afraid and ran. The Bible doesn't tell us whether this was God's will. God miraculously provided food for Elijah's journey, but when he arrived at Mount Horeb, God asked him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Was Elijah right or wrong? Does it matter? God in His mercy gave food and comfort to this faithful prophet. God spoke to Elijah in a still small voice, and in the silence Elijah could hear.

I wonder if fear of the coronavirus is forcing us to face our greater fear--our fear of silence. I didn't do too well my first couple days of self-imposed confinement. I couldn't stop. I emailed assignments to my students. I hunted for music to practice. I cleaned. I chatted with friends online. I left little space for God to speak.

Can I learn to embrace the silence? Can I stop to listen? It won't be easy, but I'll do it. I'll learn because it's the one thing I'm sure God is saying to me.

"Be still, and know that I am God..." Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment