Sunday, July 22, 2012

Do I Fit in Here?


“She has white hair,” Mom said, describing a lady at church.

My sisters and I rolled our eyes. “Everyone at church has white hair.”

Since then, we have been blessed with two babies at church. Now we have the cane brigade, the bottle brigade and a few of us oddballs in between. Where are the young people? Why have we lost most of the twenty- and thirty-somethings?

Church leaders voice various opinions. We need a contemporary service. Drums and guitar will bring in young people. The sermon must be short and practical – none of this deep theological stuff. Have more social events. Start a singles group.

Others are more academic. Teach teens how to defend their faith. Give them proof for a literal six-day creation as taught in Genesis. Show them evidence for the existence of God and the truth of the Bible.

I love discussing those topics, but that’s not the answer.

I just finished reading a book that came closer to the truth than anything else I have read. The book is Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham Jr. The answer is at home. The church cannot impart faith in one hour a week. God gave us families for a reason.

In my up-coming posts, I’ll discuss some of Voddie Baucham’s excellent ideas. I’ll share some of the things I question in his book. I invite feedback from you. If you’ve ever felt disillusioned with church (haven’t we all?), tell me why. Honesty is the first step in our search for truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment