Friday, November 16, 2018

Cream for My Coffee

Photo by Larisa Koshkina

I sipped my coffee as I relished a little time in my Bible this morning. Actually, I was doing last-minute prep for our ladies Bible study, and I was puzzled by 2 Corinthians 1:17-20. All the yeses and nos in this passage made my head spin.

Besides, if "all the promises of God in [Christ] are Yes," why does it seem like God says no to me? What about the great dreams I had for my life, dreams that fizzled as life fell into a rut? Is God really a God of yes to me? I'm aware that God sometimes says no to my request in order to say yes to something better, but that something better isn't always apparent. The rut is too deep, and I can't see over it.

With no great answers in sight, I headed to the kitchen for more coffee. "Sorry we ran out of half and half," Mom apologized.

"No problem," I replied. "This gives me an excuse to use whipping cream." I poured a nice dose of the thick whiteness into my mug and filled it up with coffee.

My thoughts turned back to prayer. In Matthew 7:9-10 Jesus asked, "Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?"

In a Jennifer paraphrase, the question might be, "Which one of you, if his daughter asks for half and half, will give her milk?" No, my heavenly Father has filled the refrigerator with cartons of heavy whipping cream.

I finished my devotions with no new insight on prayer, but the picture helps. I may not understand the mind of God, but I choose again to trust His heart and enjoy the cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment