Saturday, November 10, 2018

Sprinting Through a Marathon

Photo by GaborfromHungary
at morguefile.com

Click-click-click-delete. I dumped the junk emails that had accumulated overnight. But then a subject line caught my eye, "When John Piper was a teenager..."

It was a short message from Brett Harris at The Rebelution, sharing his favorite episode of the Ask Pastor John podcast. "Every young person in the world needs to hear this," Brett declared. My curiosity piqued, I hit play.

John Piper was preaching on Hebrews 12:1, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us" (ESV).

"Don't just lay aside sins to run this race," Pastor John challenged. "Don't just ask, 'What is wrong with it in life?' Don't just say about your music, about your movies, about your parties, about your habits, about your computer games, don't just say, 'Well, what is wrong with it?'...What question should I ask if it is not, 'Is it a sin?' And the answer is, 'Does it help me run?'"

As Pastor John expounded on how we should lay aside everything that is holding us back from reaching our goal, part of me wanted to cheer. What music teacher wouldn't cheer at the idea of teens laying aside video games to focus on more important things in life?

But part of me said, "You're missing something." This wasn't the message I needed as a teen or even now. My personality tends too much toward laying aside weights. I watch the minutes of my life slip away, and I grasp at each, trying to make the most of it as I reach for the goal.

I sensed God whispering in my heart, "Jen, you're trying to sprint through a marathon." Now I'm not much of a runner. I've never run a marathon or the 100-meter dash or anything in between, but I know one thing. In the 100-meter dash, you won't reach for a cup of water. In a marathon, you drink.

There was nothing wrong with Pastor John's sermon. To run well we must lay aside the unnecessary weights, but running isn't all about laying things aside. It's also about adding things, the healthy refreshments that restore our souls.

In the days to come, I'm determined to run better, not by eliminating things from my life but by adding activities of pure enjoyment. So if you find me cooking more, reading more, or enjoying a cup of tea in the middle of the day, don't be puzzled. I'm running a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment